Saturday, April 17, 2010

Shell House 'Nautilus' New Mexico

Best Blogger Tips
A few months back while researching for my post The Shell House at Ballymaloe Cookery School, I came across this very different and quite literal Shell House. This story may not be really garden related, but it's so wacky and fun, I'm gonna post about it anyway.


This amazing house, the ‘Nautilus House’ was built in 2006 by Arquitectura Orgánica, for a young couple with two children from Mexico City who after living in a conventional home wanted to change to one integrated to nature. The goal of this project was to make it feel like an internal inhabitant of a snail.



“The metaphor was to feel like an internal inhabitant of a snail, like a mollusk moving from one chamber to another, like a symbiotic dweller of a huge fossil maternal cloister.

This home social life flows inside the Nautilus without any division, a harmonic area in three dimensions where you can notice the continuous dynamic of the fourth dimension when moving in spiral over the stairs with a feeling of floating over the vegetation.”
– Javier Senosiain, Architect








Photobucket


Check out Javier Senosiain website http://www.arquitecturaorganica.com/ to see more of his amazing works.

15 comments:

  1. Oh my, could you imagine growing up in that house as a child? How fun! I bet the adults never run out of conversation at dinner parties living there either. How unique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such lovely posts! Inspiring and sensuos images!
    Have a lovely gardening weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Talk about thinking outside of the box. It is beautiful and looks like it belongs in a fantasy movie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember seeing this house on HGTV Weird Homes a few years ago. It's really fascinating. I especially like the light coming in through the colored glass. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aloha,

    i love when imagination and creativity is allowed to roam into non-conventional territory...this is beautiful - the colored glass windows are truly breathtaking, thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the shell house. When I look at it, first, I thought it's was small. But in the video, it's a big house.
    I like it a lot.
    See you again, I love your blog.
    From Greece, have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am very glad you decided to post this article.
    Just glancing at the first picture I thought this was an elaborate child's playhouse - scrolled down and Wa La, a real house.
    I like the uninterrupted trailing of the foliage through the entrance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew it reminded me of something and since I've just remembered I had to add it to the comments here. Do you remember the old colour TV version of Doctor Dolittle. It reminds me of the big sea shell he sailed in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still in shock over this! Great house..imagine being a child and thinking everyone lives in a home like this! I wonder what the budget was? I think I missed the bedrooms..have to watch the video again. I'm impressed and so glad you shared this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sunny, thank you for posting this. You find the most amazing things!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is amazing! I'm not sure I would want to live there, but I would love to visit! That is definitely a house a child would love to bring his friends to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How...oddly...fascinating. I always wonder how these types of houses will hold up. I agree about the doctor Dolittle notion. I think, for me, it's a place I would like to visit, but not live in for a while. I'd wake up thinking I was abducted by aliens after awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am in awe of this. Unbelievable

    ReplyDelete
  14. I heard about this from a friend and wanted to check it out. I wonder where in New Mexico this is located. I'm the webmaster and village blog monitor for Mudgap, NM, in the Sierra Fangoso Mountains, north of El Paso. I want to post this for the locals but want to tell them where it is.

    ReplyDelete