Monday, June 28, 2010

Art inspired landscape art. Sculptures by J. Seward Johnson

Best Blogger Tips
Between work, the fantastic summer were having so far and of course the world cup, I have had very little time for blogging in resent weeks. So this again will be a quick little post of something that caught my interest recently.

When flicking through a book recently I came across this first picture, and for a split second I thought that there was something a bit funny about this famous painting by Edouard Manet. I quickly realised that this was of course not Manet’s ‘Déjeuner sur l’herbe’ but in fact a sculpture by American artist J. Seward Johnson.

‘Dejeuner Déjà vu’ by J. Seward Johnson

‘Déjeuner sur l’herbe’ (1863) by Édouard Manet.

To be quite honest, my history of art is not quite as good as it should be as much of my time in art college was spent drinking large quantities of alcohol, and perusing women, however one era of art that did really stand out to me was the impressionist era, and it is quite obvious that this era has also had an effect on Seward Johnson, as much of his works are inspired by many impressionist artists.

Here are more examples of a large series of works he made titled ‘Beyond the frame’, most of which are recreations of some of the most famous paintings from the impressionist era. Most of these works can be found in the sculpture park founded by J. Seward Johnson in 1992 ‘Grounds for Sculpture’. This 35-acre public sculpture park is located in Hamilton, New Jersey.

‘On Poppied Hill’ by J. Seward Johnson

‘Woman with a Parasol, Madame Monet with her Son’ (1875) by Claude Monet.

‘Were you invited?’ by J. Seward Johnson

‘Le déjeuner des canotiers’ (1881) by Pierre-Auguste Renoir.

‘If it were time’ by J. Seward Johnson

‘Terrasse à Sainte-Adresse’ (1867) by Claude Monet

‘Sailing the seine’ by J. Seward Johnson

‘Argenteuil’ (1874) by Édouard Manet.

‘God Bless America’ by J. Seward Johnson

‘American Gothic’ (1930) by Grant Wood.

12 comments:

  1. Hello,
    This magnificent work, that has been done is incredible. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fabulous pieces ... I never knew these existed. Just love 'On Poppied Hill'! But, I have to say, they are all extraordinary.

    Thanks for visiting my Dining in the Courtyard Garden post. You won first prize for the fastest ever comment posted on one of my blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice selection of the great artwork! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are phenomenal! And drinking in college? How dare you take up such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all amazing, but if I had to pick, I would choose his verion of the Renoir.
    Am glad you posted these pictures.

    Will there be more posts about your college expolits?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was never aware that these pieces were out there. Fascinating and I like the Poppied Hill as well. These all remind me Art History class in Art college which came right after lunch. I'd always have trouble trying not to fall asleep in the darkened theatre watching innumerable slides of paintings. One of my Art History instructors was prone to throwing chalk at those she caught napping and she was a darn good shot...until finally the president of the college said she had to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting blog. I love the links between art and gardens. Your posts are particularly insightful. Thanks for sharing.

    Elspeth

    http://www.mygardenschool.wordpress.com
    http://www.elspeth.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, those are just awesome! brings back lots of art history class memories. probably bring back more if i didn't miss so many classes do to prior evening's imbibing :) never a smart thing to have that course at 8am.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your comment on my last post- love these last two of yours...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have sjown very beautiful landscape pictures here.I get really impressed.Form and line work closely together to affect the flow of your landscape. Form typically refers to the shape of a plant. Some basic forms of landscape plants are oval, upright, columns, spreading and weeping.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are great and a real revelation. Would love to see them "in the flesh" rosalierigby.blogspot

    ReplyDelete